6 Tips to Keep You Swimming Safely
When the temperature heats up in Minnesota, all you can think about is cooling off at the local pool or nearest lake. Just remember: Where there’s water, there’s risk.
That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t jump in (carefully) and have some fun with family and friends. It just means you should keep these safety tips in mind any time you swim in Minnesota:
- Don’t go it alone. Swim only in designated areas, with a lifeguard if possible, and use the buddy system – even adults shouldn’t swim when no one else is around. As for children, they should never be left unattended in or near the water or supervised by another child.
- Mind the rules. If an area forbids diving or is closed for swimming, that means it’s unsafe to do so. Save yourself a trip to the hospital and follow all posted rules and warnings.
- Keep away from drains. In a pool or spa, a drain’s powerful suction can trap children and adults. Be sure everyone knows to keep their distance. The same goes for riptides and currents if you’re in an open body of water.
- Know how to respond. When someone is missing, especially a child, always check the water first. Learn CPR and other skills that can save lives.
- Use common sense. Don’t use drugs or alcohol during water activities. Do have life jackets for inexperienced swimmers, and keep plenty of sunscreen and water on hand to help everyone beat the heat.
- Alert a lifeguard if you see someone struggling. Alternately, you could throw the person a floating object or reach out with a long object.
With a little caution, and a whole lot of supervision, you can help ensure your day at the pool or lake goes swimmingly. Have fun getting wet!
Do You Need Rental Car Insurance?
Maybe you’ve been here before. You’ve just come off the plane, picked up your baggage and gone to the rental car counter. You’re tired from the flight, about to begin an ambitious vacation or a challenging business project. And, this is the point at which you’re...
What the hail? Is my house covered?
We all heard those telltale thuds this week. Is your home (and insurance) ready this season? Minnesota is the one of the top states for hail damage, affecting over 300,000 properties per year! That is 16% of Minnesota property owners are making claims every...
Buying Homeowners Insurance Online? Are you covered?
Recently, I purchased a new car. As a person that grew up working on cars, I have a broad understanding of the mechanics of a vehicle, but electronics, not so much. Because I only have outdated knowledge on the mechanics of cars, I know I did not know enough to fix...